Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Patagonia - Parque Torres Del Paine, Chile

Our seven days in the park began with gorgeous weather. We were not so lucky after that with rain at some point every other day and having to pack up wet tents three out of six mornings. The water here in Pehoé lake was crystal blue!
The enormous Grey Glacier, one of the largest ice caps in the world! This field of ice goes on as far as the eye can see. We camped close by for two nights...chilly.

An evening tea beside the glacier - an absolutely essential part of the day! The sun sets super late. It is almost 10pm in this photo! I am getting really good at the self portraits! Here we are the whole treking team - René, Mandy, Amélie and me - and what a great team we were too!

I took this photo during a short break in the rain. We made good use of our rain gear and water proof pack covers.
You can see the trail off to the left. It was soooooo windy in this valley and at times the trail was extremely narrow with a steep drop off to the right.... scary!

Amélie and me with the famous Torres del Paine (blue towers), the mascots of the park.

What a trip! Walking through cities with our heavy packs is now super easy after hiking with them through frigid, windy, rainy mountains

5 comments:

TB said...

Eleanor,
I got your postcard and I love that you are meeting clairvoyant men and dogs on your journey! It's so great to see pictures and "hear" about your experiences, challenges and feats! Enjoy!!!
Love J

Anonymous said...

Eleanor,

Wow. Beautiful pictures. I will follow along with your journey. I was so captivated, I sent the blog address to my whole family. Mark Gromko

Anonymous said...

Those are some awesome photos. Hope you're having a great time!
Cousin John in Philly.

Anonymous said...

Dear Eleanor, Your pictures are beautiful and artful. Thank you for sharing them. I admire your achievements in organization of this adventure! Joyce Gromko

Anonymous said...

El! your photos are amazing amazing amazing. very inspirational....the glacier is incredible.........ahh I gotta get down to South America. keep having fun. sorry for no emails so far...no real news. I just got back from South East Asia though and actually I do have News...im flying to Brisbane in two weeks to visit Pauls, who is living with Ruth!!! it will be an awesome catch up, he is currently a 3 hour plane ride north of me! any-way aside im sorting myself out and getting over jetlag. friends and I are organising a human rights film festival here which is something great to work on.speak soon
x claire